Car Insurance Tips for International Students

It’s illegal to drive a  vehicle in the US without an active, valid driver’s license and auto insurance policy.

Each state has different laws regarding insurance coverage requirements.

Additionally, if you plan to stay in the U.S. over one year, you’ll need to apply for an American driver’s license.

The auto insurance costs for international students are usually higher than those of an American citizen because you don’t have a US based driving record or credit score.

Find an insurance company that understands international drivers’ specific needs, offers you advice on coverage requirements and understand which discounts could help you save money as a new drive, click here


There are several ways to save on insurance.

  • Do you need a car in the first place? Can you get to school and home with the subway or bus? Are you able to move around the city with a reliable public transportation system?
  • If you’re staying in the U.S. for fewer than six months, ask a family member or friend to let you borrow their vehicle, make sure you are added on their policy as a short term coverage user
  • If you have a family member living in the U.S. already and you’ll be moving to the same state they live, ask them if they would add you to their policy. Your primary residence address will have to be the same as theirs. As such, you’ll only need to pay the additional charge on this family member’s policy. Having multiple people on one policy is normally cheaper than owning one by one person, as a multi-driver policy qualifies the policyholder for multi-vehicle and -driver discounts.
  • When shopping for a car, consider buying one that has up-to-date safety features. Vehicles with full-front airbags and restraint devices can qualify you for safe driving discounts.
  • You can also get car insurance by renting a vehicle with your credit card. Call your credit card companies beforehand and ask whether or not their policies apply in your situation in the USA; their respective coverage limits; if the policy includes collision, comprehensive, and liability coverage and whether any additional fees apply.
  • Rent a pre-insured vehicle if you aren’t going to be in the U.S. for more than six months. In this case, car insurance comes automatically with your rental.

For more advice from an insurance company that understands international drivers’ specific needs , click here.

Scroll to Top

Coming Soon